Dog Adoption Process
- Meet and fall in love with your future four-legged family member at one of our adoption centers or offsite events.
- All household members must be in agreement
on adopting a pet. We encourage all household
members to meet the pet prior to adoption.
- If other dogs live in the home, we highly encourage meet and greets prior to adoption.
- If all household members are in agreement, an adoption application is filled out by the potential adopter.
- The application and counseling process take approximately 45 minutes and your new furry family member goes home with you right away!
Dog Adoption Requirements
When you adopt a pet, Texas Humane Heroes requires that you:
- Do not leave the dog outdoors for extended periods of time — Texas Humane Heroes does not adopt out guard dogs or “yard” dogs. Our dogs are adopted out as family members and companion animals.
- Provide your pet with annual veterinarian visits.
- Provide recommended vaccinations by your veterinarian and as required by law.
- Provide your pet with veterinary care when sick or injured.
- Return the animal to Texas Humane Heroes if the pet does not work out. The pet may be returned anytime within 30 days from adoption. If after 30 days, an appointment must be made, and a $125 surrender fee is required.
- Cannot adopt the pet out as a gift.