Dog Adoption Process
- Meet and fall in love with your future four-legged family member at one of our adoption centers or offsite events.
- All household members must be in agreement
on adopting a pet. We encourage all household
members to meet the pet prior to adoption.
- If other dogs live in the home, we highly encourage meet and greets prior to adoption.
- If all household members are in agreement, an adoption application is filled out by the potential adopter.
- The adoption process takes at least 90 minutes. This gives you and the pet time to meet, bond, make a well thought decision, review and sign paperwork and the adoption counseling process. If you are considering adopting, you need to arrive at least 90 minutes prior to closing.
Dog Adoption Requirements
When you adopt a pet, Texas Humane Heroes requires that you:
- Do not leave the dog outdoors for extended periods of time — Texas Humane Heroes does not adopt out guard dogs or “yard” dogs. Our dogs are adopted out as family members and companion animals.
- Provide your pet with annual veterinarian visits.
- Provide recommended vaccinations by
your veterinarian or at our low-cost vaccination clinic as required by law.
- Provide your pet with veterinary care when sick or injured.
- Return the animal to Texas Humane Heroes if the pet does not work out. The pet may be returned anytime within 30 days from adoption. If after 30 days, the pet can be returned during business hours and a $100 surrender fee is required.
- Cannot adopt the pet out as a gift.