TAKE THE DOG-CAT QUIZ
Author: Deanna Chesnut, Author, Purrs & Promises
Let’s play! I’ve always learned more when I take a quiz than from just reading, so here’s your chance to try it. Get a piece of paper and write down your answers, then check the links in the next section.
- Cats hear better and cats smell better (with their nose!) than dogs.
- Humans have the most perceptive taste buds, then dogs, then cats.
- Dogs, cats, possums and bunnies are very susceptible to rabies.
- Crème Puff, an Austin cat, was 38 when listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the world’s oldest cat.
- The AKC recognizes 186 dog breed.
- Pet foods listing “animal fat” as an ingredient are better for your pet than tocopherols.
- The Australian Cattle Dog is the official dog of Texas.
- The official state cat of Texas is the brown tabby.
- The United States is the only country in which declawing is legal.
- There are 101 cat breeds recognized by official cat organiations.
Don’t peek! Answers below. ————————-
- True. Cats smell better than dogs, except for specialty breeds like Bloodhounds. Cats, at 45Hertz , can hear way better than a dog’s, 100,000 Hertz. (Humans just a measly 20Hertz.) So consider that before you blast out rock band music! (Cat and dog say “Ouch.” ) https://iheartcats.com/how-do-your-cats-senses-compare-to-your-dogs/
- True. Dogs win more than 3-1, or 1,700 taste buds to 473 for cats. So, how come it’s the dogs that eat cat poop? https://iheartcats.com/how-do-your-cats-senses-compare-to-your-dogs/
- False. Dogs and cats get rabies, but rats, possums and bunnies rarely do: http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/IndustryArticles/04/l/048245E867.html
- True. https://www.historyandheadlines.com/creme-puff-longevity/
- False. The American Kennel Club as of 2016 recognized 202 dog breeds. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Kennel_Club
- False. Fat is likely to contain BHA/BHT and other chemical preservatives, and the remains of euthanized animals. Tocophrenals are natural Vit. E preservatives. http://www.petmd.com/blogs/nutritionnuggets/jcoates/2012/dec/natural-artificial-preservatives-in-dog-foods-29523
- False. The official dog breed of Texas is the Blue Lacey! Surprised? Like, what is a Blue Lacey? Certainly sounds pretty. https://statesymbolsusa.org/symbol-official-item/texas/state-dog-cat-state-mammal/blue-lacy
- False. There is no “state cat” for Texas. How rude! We even have a state pastry—Strudel—but no state cat? I guarantee there are more households with cats in them right now than with strudel! Discrimination here! https://statesymbolsusa.org/states/united-states/texas
- False. A de-claw is an unnecessary, extremely painful amputation of the first bone at the tip of the “finger” though people are led to believe it is just the removal of the claw itself. (They say De-Claw, not De-Bone which would be more correct. Declawing is outlawed in many countries: http://www.declawing.com/countries-that-outlaw-declawing
- False. Who knows how many? Estimates say 43 to 73 recognized by the “official” cat organizations. And with all that “catting around” the felines do, there are probably ten times that number of “un-“ recognized breeds! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cat_breeds
If you made an A+, conCATulations! Now, celebrate with some vanilla ice cream for you and all the fur babies!